• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScottH

ScottH

• Distributor Member
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

Chris,
Why do you have it set that you have to double click on your browser back button to go to a previous page?

It's exhausting, and I could be spending that time of the second click working with clients! :) One click is enough.
"Cheap fabric and dim lighting-that's how you move merchandise."~Morty Seinfeld

#2 royster13

royster13

Veteran Member

• Distributor Member
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

I rarely use the back button....I like this:
http://www.distribut...h.php?do=getnew
Royce C Schmidt MK
My favourite suppliers.....In no particular order.... TradeNet Dooley Cups Cedar Crest Pens California Tattoos Americanna TCB Corp ProInnovative
Free TradeNet Sales Material Free Industry Search Engines PMDM UPIC Distributor Central

#3 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Veteran Member

• Distributor Member
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

Scott,

With today's internet, the back button should not even exist on browsers. With all of the dynamic content that sites are serving up, hitting back causes all types of issues. DistributorTalk utilizes javascript, DHTML, ajax and a host of other client / server side technologies - many that work together to get you content in real time. Very similar to the way facebook and twitter work. Combine that with sessions that must be maintained to keep you logged in (like your bank) and it's best to utilize the sites navigation tools, not the browsers. The idea is that in a web 2.0 world, you never go backwards - only forward to the new, fresh content.

With that being said, where do you utilize the back button the most? Perhaps we can put a link in place that will get you the same content without going "back". Have you checked out the view posts drop down? It too is dynamic... when I view a thread, I go back to the list of latest threads by utilizing the view posts menu again and of course the thread I just viewed is no longer on the list.

Let me know your thoughts.

#4 DSubasa

DSubasa

• Supplier Member
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

Call it old school, old habits, but I still use the back button ALOT! Because the truth is, if I just came from a page and I want to go BACK to that page, then it is faster to hit that thing than go to a dynamic menu.

Its only if I am 2 or more pages in a link that I usually eliminate the use of the back button.

I dont seem to have an issue with having to double click the back button on DT. Something could be wrong with your browser.
Damon Subasa
Sales & Business Development
Proinnovative, Inc.

email: damon@proinnovative.com
online catalog: http://catalog.proinnovative.com

#5 ScottH

ScottH

• Distributor Member
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Call it old school, old habits, but I still use the back button ALOT! Because the truth is, if I just came from a page and I want to go BACK to that page, then it is faster to hit that thing than go to a dynamic menu.

Its only if I am 2 or more pages in a link that I usually eliminate the use of the back button.

I dont seem to have an issue with having to double click the back button on DT. Something could be wrong with your browser.

So you can go back on a single click? Most software is designed to go back on one anymore, and this is the only site where I have to double click, so I assumed it was a site setting and not just me.

Remember those days when everything was double click? And especially on a dial up, you had to time you clicks just right to get it to work? I'll bet the kids today don't even remember having to double click!

#6 twistededge

twistededge

• Distributor Member
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

I have to double click too but only for DT. It's annoying. The page loads twice. I am using IE 8...if you use the drop down back button it shows a page called itk.socialpark.com which seems to insert itself between the page you are on and the page you just left.

I think I remember trying in Firefox too and had the same issue. It's the same on my phone too using Opera.

I'm going to insert a great big roll eyes smiley here at Chris going off on a rant about dynamic web content. It's much quicker to go back than to reload, as Scott said. ;) With banking, etc, I will use navigation on the site, because then you get the webpage expired and resending the info takes longer than finding the back button.

#7 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Veteran Member

• Distributor Member
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hmm... I remember someone mentioning socialspark along with this double click back button thing before. I have removed all of the social spark stuff. Let me know if that changes things for you IE (eww :D) users. ;)

#8 BryZ

BryZ

• Service Provider Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Chris- Since you don't seem to be a fan of IE, I am curious to know what browser you use?

I tried to become a fan of FireFox, but for some reason I just don't like it as much as IE. We have debated IE vs. FireFox in our office many times!

There are WAY to many browsers out there! If there was just one, web-development would be so much easier! :tongue:
Bryony Zasman
Marketing & Sales Director
(877) 966-6228 ext. 704

www.ZOOMcatalog.com
bryony@ZOOMcatalog.com
www.Twitter.com/ZOOMcatalog_bry
www.facebook.com/ZOOMcatalog

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Allan

Allan

Veteran Member

• Distributor Member
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

I use Firefox but with the latest advances with IE they are almost identical now.

Chris will be a fan of whatever proprietary browser Apple has out.:D:D:D

Chris- Since you don't seem to be a fan of IE, I am curious to know what browser you use?

I tried to become a fan of FireFox, but for some reason I just don't like it as much as IE. We have debated IE vs. FireFox in our office many times!

There are WAY to many browsers out there! If there was just one, web-development would be so much easier! :tongue:

Remember to thank the person who made you a hero today!!

#10 ScottH

ScottH

• Distributor Member
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:40 AM

Single click back works now!
Thank you Chris, you've saved me about 7 seconds a day by not having to DC. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users